In today’s latest sports news around the world we have news from boxing, rugby, formula one and football. In the football news we talk about the Caf Champions League and Brighton Chairman’s views. Then the boxing and formula one news follow closely. Continue reading the article to find out the details and more.
CAF POSTPONES INTER-CLUB COMPETITION INDEFINITELY.
The Confederation of African Football (Caf) has extended the suspension of the continent’s inter-club finals until further notice due to the coronavirus pandemic. The Confederation Cup was initially billed for May 24 at Rabat’s Prince Moulay Abdellah Sports Stadium, while the Champions League was meant for Douala’s Japoma Stadium on May 29.
However, with the Covid-19 outbreak still causing mass disruption to everyday life across the world, Caf has reviewed its stance on Saturday and ruled out a return for football in the continent indefinitely.
ETO’O DONATES RELIEF ITEMS IN CAMEROON.
Samuel Eto’o has donated relief package to residents of his home town in Douala as Covid-19 continues to affect the global economy. Several food items, soaps, sanitisers and protective equipment were donated in Cameroon’s economic capital. People in Buea, Yaounde and Baffoussam will also benefit from this largesse in the coming days. In an Instagram post captained ‘I will give my life to continue to serve you’, the ex-Barcelona star shared pictures of his team distributing relief materials. Through his foundation with support from Betoo, Kadji Group and Utopia, the four-time African Player of the Year had promised to help distribute supplies to 100,000 people in the battle against the pandemic. Apart from the relief materials, an extra 50,000 protective face masks will also be given explicitly for taxi drivers in the Central African Nation.
BRIGTON CHAIRMAN CALLS FOR 2019/2020 RELEGATION BE SCRAPPED AND LIVERPOOL BE AWARDED THE TITLE.
With the current campaign up in the air, question marks remain over how potential relegation will be handled in England’s top-flight. Brighton owner Tony Bloom believes Liverpool deserve to be Premier League champions, but said there should be no relegation if the season cannot be completed. The campaign was suspended last month due to the coronavirus pandemic and there remains uncertainty over when, and if, it will resume. Bloom, whose Brighton sit two points clear of the relegation zone, said points-per-game may be used to decide champions or even European qualification, but not relegation. “I don’t foresee a situation, if the season’s not played out, that teams will get relegated on a points-per-game basis,” Bloom told UK media. “I just don’t think it’s fathomable that a team which is not allowed to play out the season, may lose out on 0.2 of a point based on this system. “Also it does not take into account the strength of the teams you have not played. “You may get a title winner, obviously Liverpool deserve it, you may use that criteria for European qualification but I do not see how anyone can vote for that, certainly the per cent needed, for teams to get relegated.”
ANTHONY JOSHUA SAYS DEONTAY WILDER WILL NOT ACCEPT STEP-ASIDE OFFER TO AVOID TYSON FURY.
The Bronze Bomber has activated his rematch clause to set up a third fight with Fury and present a chance to win back the WBC heavyweight title he lost in February. But it has been proposed that both Wilder and Kubrat Pulev, who was due to fight Joshua on June 20 before it was postponed, accept step-side offers in order to pave the way for Joshua to face Fury in a unification bout. But Joshua is adamant that Wilder will not accept any such proposal.
Asked if he feels the prospect of Wilder accepting a step-aside offer is realistic, Joshua told SI Boxing with Chris Mannix: ‘No because I think the championship means a lot to these boys, I respect that. As much as I would like them to I just highly doubt it. ‘I wouldn’t do it. Unfortunately it won’t happen.
MERCEDES FORMULA ONE BOSS TOTO WOLFF BUYS STAKE IN ASTON MARTIN.
The British sportscar company is controlled by Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll, owner of the Racing Point F1 team, which will be rebranded as Aston Martin in 2021. Wolff has bought a stake of just under 5%, which will become 0.95% after a rights issue in Aston Martin on Monday. A Mercedes spokesman said the move did not affect Wolff’s role as an executive and shareholder at Mercedes F1. He said Wolff’s purchase was “a financial investment”. Stroll’s takeover of Aston Martin was approved by shareholders earlier this month. He became executive chairman after injecting £260m of new capital. Wolff has bought nearly 14.5m shares. The current market price of Aston Martin shares is 55p, giving him a shareholding worth £7.975m at today’s prices. Wolff owns 30% of the Mercedes team and is in negotiations with Ola Kallenius, chairman of parent company Daimler, about an extension of his contract beyond the end of this year.
RICHIE RAMSAY AGREES WITH SCOTTISH OPEN POSTPONEMENT.
The Scottish Open was due to be held in North Berwick from 9-12 July but has become the latest European Tour event to be postponed amid the Covid-19 pandemic. The Open Championship at Royal St George’s had already been called off. “The Scottish Open postponement didn’t come as a real surprise,” Ramsay, 36, told BBC Radio Scotland. “But at the same time, I think everybody would agree that it’s the correct decision. It’s a very tough situation but safety comes first. “It’s good that it’s been postponed and not cancelled, but a lot of these things are outside our control at the moment. “The reality is that as much as you pencil in dates, nobody knows. “It’s tough because weather is an issue. We have a shorter season because we’re so far north, and then there’s a scramble for dates at the moment, everyone’s trying to pencil in dates and see if they can fit in. “I understand the PGA Tour are looking at June for a restart and I think that’s very ambitious. But we’ve got a different set of circumstances in Europe with degrees of regulations in countries.”
SIR BILL BEAUMONT CONFIDENT OF REVISED NATIONS CHAMPIONSHIP.
World Rugby boss Sir Bill Beaumont says he is confident a revised Nations Championship will be launched in the aftermath of the coronavirus pandemic. Plans for a revolutionary world league were abandoned last year after World Rugby were unable to gain unanimous support from unions. But Beaumont says the current health crisis has acted as a “reality check” for the game.”You are pretty foolish if you don’t learn lessons,” said Beaumont.
Speaking to BBC 5 Live’s Guest List show, he said: “In the past where people have been quite protective about what they have got, I think what we are looking at now is that this is probably a reality check in the sport [in terms of] are we doing things correctly? “There is a real feeling I get now that there will be some variant of the Nations Championship that will come back on the table.” A Nations Championship would see the results from regular competitions like the Six Nations and the Rugby Championship count towards a league, as would ‘home and away’ cross-hemisphere matches.
YOUR COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ON THE LATEST SPORTS NEWS.
Share your views and opinions on today’s latest football news. Please share the article to reach like minded people like you. Follow the blog or any of our social media pages for more updates.